Thursday 30 July 2015

Wendy’s Art Class - Landscape, Acrylic Paint vs. Oil

Today in class we created a small 5 x 7 landscape on canvas board. Everyone used Wendy’s photo and the results were amazing. Mine wasn’t finished because I always paint slowly. Instead of making any changes to the one I did in class, I decided to make another. This time using oil paints...it's been too long since my last purchase:)). The landscape was the perfect subject matter: pretty, small and easy.

After researching different types of oil paints, I decided to try water soluble oils to avoid the need for turpentine. Also these oils would be easier to use in classs because the brushes can be washed off with water. Being a novice, there didn’t seem to be a reason not to use them. After using Artisan in Liz Haucks class and looking at the different brands, I went with Artisan water soluble oil paint. I found a great discount website to buy artist materials: www.artdiscount.co.uk. Sticking to the less is more theory, I only bought Ultramarine Blue, Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow and Titanium White.

It took me no time, well two sittings, to get to the same point with oil paints as with acrylic… then another month or two of procrastination. Now it’s finished and I’m glad it's done. With only the three colours and white the painting was easily completed. The only real downside to painting in oil is the waiting, but it was enjoyable. Blending with oil is sooo much less hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment