Tuesday 28 July 2015

Drawing & Painting Class – Portrait w/ Joel (Red, Yellow, Blue & White Paint)

Last term in my acrylic painting class we did a glazing with black and white prints of people. I chose to do Robert Deniro, so for this assignment, I chose the same image. What a nightmare... it was difficult to draw him because his face was at an angle.


Using red, yellow & blue acrylic paint we made a grey wash for the background. Then with willow charcoal we drew the image, it didn’t come out perfect because only 30 minutes was allotted for drawing. Next we began to block colours in for the face. It would have come out better if there was more time, but the class is only 2 ½ hours so what you see is what you get.

I wanted to try and do another portrait in oil because Joel said it’s easier to blend since the paints don’t dry so quickly. I bought a cheap set of oil paints and some ‘Winsor & Newton Sansodor’ from WH Smith and started another Deniro at home. The oil painting was proving just as difficult and I’m too embarrassed to show a pic of it…sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment