Tuesday 19 May 2015

My First Attempt at Art

Almost two years ago with no previous experience; after browsing through the pages of ‘All About Acrylics’ by Oliver Lohr, Kristina Schaper & Ute Zander, I decided to paint.  The dripping technique caught my eye since Jackson Pollock paintings had always inspired me.  It looked simple enough, just throw paint onto a canvas and voila.   As most of you probably know there’s more to it than that, as I quickly found out.  The paint didn’t flow as expected, the canvas was filled with blobs of paint...not a Jackson Pollock.

With my limited knowledge, continuing to work with acrylics seemed the right thing to do.  Acrylic paints dried easily, could be worked over and watered down or thickened for the right consistency.  So obviously, success is going to take a little more time. 

My second art book; ‘The Acrylic Artist's Bible’ by Marylin Scott was more useful technically.  With information on colour mixing and a section on techniques that was more of a how to than the theory in ‘All About Acrylics’.  The problem with both books was there were no interesting exercises.  So the paintings below combine a lot of different styles with colours to match rooms in my house. 




Nothing too exciting but hopefully future posts will show improvement.  So left with a ton of acrylic paint, all kinds of brushes, pallet knives, sponges, etc.; new ideas to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment