Tuesday 26 May 2015

Art History & You Tube

Lessons on how to draw and paint wasn't enough, I needed a little art history. At the discount book store I discovered ‘Art – Everything you need to know about the greatest artists and their works’ by Susie Hodge. This book is a crash course in art and full of the most popular paintings from ‘Gothic to Early Renaissance c. 1300-1500’ to ‘Modernism to Pop c.1900-1970s’ and everything in between.

My favourite period seemed to be ‘Impressionism to Post-Impressionism c.1865-1910’, so I decided to do more research. With my handy Chromecast and IPad, viewing You Tube videos on TV was a breeze. There are tons of documentaries on Impressionism and the artists who interested me were Manet, Degas, Monet, Renoir and Pissarro: the following videos were the best I found.

The Impressionists - 3 part BBC documentary was informative and worth viewing before going to see the Impressionists exhibit National Gallery in London.  You have to act fast because it closes 31 May 2015.  I saw it and it was very impressive; the exhibit had paintings that were acquired by Paul Durand-Ruel and the Modern Art Market.

Two other interesting documentaries were Degas and Pissarro.

No comments:

Post a Comment