Friday 11 December 2015

Painting Project No. 7 from 'Ways to Learn Acrylics'

My next project in "Little Ways to Learn Acrylics: 50 small painting projects..." by Mark Daniel Nelson is No. 7 'Introductions to values: Misty mountains'. The first painting was not successful because the colours were way too green and I accidentally omitted the last layer (sky).

When the paint was dry I tried again; matching the hue of the the dark mountains and lighter ones behind was easy. The next layers were more difficult because I wanted to move away from the green tint that I mixed in the first painting. Instead of adding only unbleached titanium I mixed in some ultramarine blue and titanium white; this made the paint look bluer. The exercise calls for only adding unbleached titanium to the mixtures, but this made the lighter layers look green.

Because I painted over the first try you can see some of the previous layers. I could fix it, but probably only make it worse. I really enjoyed this exercise, it helped me to learn about mixing values and colours. Additionally, it provides more practice working with edges, hopefully by the end of the 50 projects I will be able to have clean edges in all my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment