Monday 15 June 2015

Watercolour Portrait & Chinese Painting with Wendy

Previous class practice drawing eyes, noses and mouths came in handy for our next assignment - a tonal portrait study.

Tonal Study

Wendy supplied photos to choose from; my dad and I both love Clint Eastwood so…

Colour Study
We also did a colour study, not my favourite. I seem to have trouble when I need to add colour. 
In our last class we learned to do Chinese painting; practicing bamboo with ink and Chinese brushes on cartridge paper.


For the final project we made bookmarks on watercolour paper; it was a nice ending to the class. By adding a hole and a ribbon I now have a lovely bookmark to remind me of the class.

This type of painting interested me so adding to my library, once again, I bought a book: ‘Chinese Brush Painting Handbook’ by Pauline Cherrett. The only trouble was I didn’t have the right brushes. Wendy had lent us inks and brushes for the class so I used my regular watercolour brushes and paint.


I only achieved a halfway decent fish.  Someday I will buy brushes, read the book again, and try to make more paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment